Dear CUNY Baccalaureate Students,
I am pleased to share a very exciting academic opportunity with you: the 2013 Harvard Latino Leadership Initiative. If you believe that you meet the eligibility requirements, that you will be available for the required dates, and if you are interested, please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than February 15th. If you are nominated to apply you will need to be able to submit an strong application by early March. I look forward to hearing from you.
Preparing to Lead: An Initiative for Next Generation Latino Leadership
2013 Program Overview
It is estimated that the Latino community will double in size over the next 40 years and will comprise more than 30% of the United States population by 2050. To help develop a cadre of next generation leaders from and for this community, the Center for Public Leadership (CPL) at the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) has established the Latino Leadership Initiative (LLI), which hosted its first class of young leaders in June 2010.
The Initiative has been made possible by a generous donation of seed funding by Entravision Communications Corporation, and by Entravision’s Chairman and CEO, Walter Ulloa. CPL is grateful to Mr. Ulloa for his visionary leadership in supporting the initial phase of the Initiative.
The LLI annually serves some of the nation’s most promising undergraduates who have demonstrated their interest in serving the Latino community. Our mission is to recruit participants whose academic achievement will be complemented by an intensive, weeklong leadership development program at the Harvard Kennedy School.
- To enhance the leadership capacity and understanding of a cadre of students committed to serving the Latino community;
- To help participants form a strong and durable bond among themselves and with other leaders; and
- To inspire participants to view their own possibilities for leadership and professional achievement as limitless.
The LLI features classroom sessions on a range of leadership development topics including self-awareness, and core competencies such as public speaking, decision-making, and negotiation. In addition, the young leaders have an opportunity to network and build a community among themselves, and to interact with a range of leaders from the nonprofit, business, and government sectors. LLI participants are also responsible for creating personal leadership action plans and team based community service projects designed to enrich their local communities and help them utilize their new leadership skill sets.
The fourth annual LLI Program will be held from June 8, 2013 to June 15, 2013 at the Harvard Kennedy School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
In order to be eligible for the LLI, applicants must meet the following criteria by June 2013:
- Be nominated by their school.
- Have a minimum of 3.2 GPA out of a 4.0 Scale.
- Be in the summer between the junior and senior year of their undergraduate studies.
- Plan to be on campus for their entire senior year.
- Have a demonstrated interest in learning about leadership development.
- Have a demonstrated interest and track record of community and school involvement in helping to serve the Latino community.
- Be a U.S citizen, legal permanent resident, or a legal U.S visitor with a valid visa and passport.
- Be able to spend the entire week of June 8, 2013 to June 15, 2013 at the Harvard Kennedy School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Will not be studying abroad during their senior year at college in order to complete your community service project.