Dear Sept. ‘14 Graduates, Jan. ‘15 Graduates, and Potential June and Sept. ‘15 Graduates:
You’ve waited for this day your whole life!
UPDATE: We are no longer taking orders to participate in CUNY BA’s 2015 commencement. Please contact us (email@example.com) if any other information is needed.
For information about the COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY GO HERE
CUNY Baccalaureate’s annual commencement will take place on Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 10:00am in the Great Hall at The Cooper Union, 7 East 7th Street at 3rd Avenue in NYC. A required rehearsal for all participating graduates will take place at Cooper Union at 9:00am the same day.
Each graduate will cross the stage to receive a letter of congratulations from Dr. Chase Robinson, President of The CUNY Graduate Center. Our ceremony is a moving, wonderful experience; I am sure you will want to be there with your family and friends. You may bring as many guests as you would like (no tickets are required).
We will mail invitations to Faculty Mentors, but a personal invitation from you will be much more meaningful, so visit, email or call your Mentor and ask him/her to attend! (Mentors who wish to participate in the academic procession will have to submit a reply form to CUNY BA.)
Mr. Aaron Hurst will be the keynote speaker. He is the CEO of Imperative, a technology platform that enables people to discover, connect and act on what gives them purpose in their work. Hurst is an advisor to many global brands and a frequent speaker and writer on the development of the Purpose Economy — how the mass quest for self-expression in the workplace is reshaping corporate behavior and creating new economic opportunities.
Info on Participation / Cap & Gown Costs:
- All students wishing to participate in commencement must complete and return the enclosed paperwork and pay the $50.00 fee by April 7, 2015. This is a significantly reduced fee; CUNY BA is subsidizing a larger portion of the costs this year to make it easier for students to attend.
- If you are renting a cap and gown for your home college’s ceremony, you may use the same attire for our event; in that case, your fee will be $35.00. Either way, fill out the enclosed Commencement Order Form and return it with a check or money order.
- If you do not submit your cap and gown order on time, we will not be able to get the attire for you; we order it from a company in Virginia and do not keep extras at the office.
- Students who sign up for commencement will receive an email confirmation of receipt of their forms and payment; if you do not receive this within 7-10 days of mailing your materials, please call our office at 212-817-8220 – you may need to resend them.
- In March, our Registrar sends the names of graduates to the senior colleges. You are eligible to participate in your home college commencement in addition to the CUNY BA ceremony. (Note: Some colleges do not allow upcoming September graduates to march in June; CUNY BA does.) If you have questions about your home college’s commencement, contact your home college.
- If you would like to be the student speaker representing the Class of 2015, please email me a 1-2 paragraph statement about your CUNY BA experience by April 7. If you are a trained, experienced singer and would like to perform The National Anthem at the ceremony, email me by that date as well.
If you need a letter from our office to a foreign embassy or consulate requesting permission for family members or friends to travel to the U.S. on a non-immigrant Visa for the ceremony, put your request in writing to Jean Myers, CUNY BA Administrative Assistant (JMyers@gc.cuny.edu) with this information: full name(s) of relative/friend, relationship to you, name and the mailing address of the embassy/consulate. If you are unable to find out the name and address of the embassy or consulate to which this information should be sent, refer to http://usembassy.state.gov/. We will prepare this letter for you to mail or fax to the embassy. Make your request now; there can be long waits for Visas.
You will receive a second email in May with details about picking up the cap and gown, diplomas, directions to Cooper Union, etc. Details will also be posted on www.cunyba.cuny.edu.
See the enclosed FAQ sheet for information on class rings and more. For general questions contact Jean Myers at 212-817-8220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty Mentors, the rest of the CUNY Baccalaureate staff, and I look forward to sharing this special occasion with you. Don’t miss it!
Dr. Kim Hartswick, Academic Director
Enclosures and due dates:
1) Commencement Order Form (front & back) and Fee…….. due April 7
2) Request for Foreign Embassy / Consulate Letter……………..due April 7 if you need that
3) Alumni Awards Application…………………………….…………….due May 19 if you are applying
4) Awards & Grad School Info Form (front/back)……………….due May 19
5) FAQ Sheet