RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS INTERESTED IN DOING UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH
Participation by undergraduate students in authentic research is an important part of academic life. Here is a list of resources to help you find research opportunities, both within CUNY and beyond, in the Sciences, as well as in Humanities and Social Sciences.
WITHIN CUNY – Ongoing and Summer Opportunities
1. Here is CUNY’s newest Website page, devoted to undergraduate research. At a link on the top left, click on Undergraduate Research For Students and access a directory of opportunities at CUNY, which you can search by college or by discipline. And, while most opportunities are in the STEM areas (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) there are several research opportunities in Humanities and Social Science areas. http://www.cuny.edu/research/sr/undergrad-research.html
2. The CUNY Summer Undergraduate Research Program (C-SURP) http://www.cuny.edu/research/sr/csurp.html
The City University of New York’s 2013 Summer Undergraduate Research Program (C-SURP) invites applications from talented undergraduates interested in research careers in the sciences or engineering.
The ten-week program runs from June 3 – August 9, 2013. All undergraduates completing their sophomore or junior year may apply. CUNY Community College students with at least 30 credits at the time of application are also encouraged to apply. The program offers a hands-on research experience and is open to students interested in key research areas in the biological, chemical and physical sciences and in engineering. These areas may include chemistry, energy technologies, environmental science, nanoscience, neuroscience, photonics, physics and structural biology among others. In accordance with their expressed scientific interests, successful applicants will be matched with a faculty mentor at one of CUNY’s eleven senior colleges.
Applications for the 2013 program are due by Friday, February 15, 2013. Apply at the link above.
OUTSIDE CUNY – Summer Research Opportunities
1. Summer Honors Undergraduate Research Program, Division of Medical Sciences at Harvard Medical School (for students from traditionally underrepresented groups): http://www.hms.harvard.edu/dms/diversity/shurpintro.html
2. Summer Undergraduate Research Program at Sloan-Kettering Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences: http://www.sloankettering.edu/surp/overview
3. Princeton Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (All disciplines): http://www.princeton.edu/gradschool/diversity/prospective_students/summer/
4. The Leadership Alliance Summer Research Early Identification Program (All disciplines; for students from traditionally underrepresented groups; research opportunities at universities across the U.S.) http://www.theleadershipalliance.org/Programs/ProgramsOverview/tabid/159/Default.aspx